[Tango-L] For Tango-L: entering the floor

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 21 19:09:43 EST 2010

--- On Thu, 2/18/10, Jeffrey Maddox <maddox_jc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sandhill Crane notes that the Portland organizers
> put up signs instructing people to enter the floor
> at the corners.

Just to clarify, part of the problem is that otherwise
people want to pile in at one place near the main
entrance of the hall. They could put up a sign there
saying "Anywhere but here" and it would help just the same.

> I was instructed that good manners dictate that as I
> approach the floor, or stand at the side of the floor, I
> catch the eye of a lead coming down the floor to "ask" for
> space.  He gives me a slight nod or eye movement to let
> me know he understands.  Then he pauses to create a
> space into which I can lead my partner.

Even without any established protocol, I find it helpful
to make eye contact with the men coming down the line
of dance. If they are attentive -- good, I want to dance
near them, I'll try to be attentive too. If they looking
at the floor or looking off into space -- hmm, he's not
paying attention, guess I'll have to watch out for him.