[Tango-L] For Tango-L: entering the floor

Jeffrey Maddox maddox_jc at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 13:38:37 EST 2010

Sandhill Crane notes that the Portland organizers put up signs instructing people to enter the floor at the corners.  I have been told that the corners are the place to enter the floor.  I have also been told the corners are the wrong place to try to enter because that is where a couple finally has room for a more expressive maneuver on a crowded floor.    Obviously contradictory information.  This raises a question:  Where and how have you been instructed to enter the floor?

I was instructed that good manners dictate that as I approach the floor, or stand at the side of the floor, I catch the eye of a lead coming down the floor to "ask" for space.  He gives me a slight nod or eye movement to let me know he understands.  Then he pauses to create a space into which I can lead my partner.   This way, he knows I am entering the floor and where.  It is a very civilized and can be done anywhere on the floor.  The leads work together to maintain decorum.

One of the biggest problems I've experienced across the US and in BA, is couples who barge onto the floor with no consideration.  They cram themselves in when you have your back turned, jump into the corners, and otherwise don't work well with others.  It makes navigation harder than it has to be.  It is terrible to come out of a giro and find another couple who weren't there before because they jumped onto the floor without appropriate space. And without appropriate notification.

The St. Louis Hot Winter Tango 2009 had very poor navigation on Friday night but it was much better Saturday night.  Poor floor entering technique was a problem both nights though.

Thoughts on entering the floor?

Jeffrey Maddox  317.698.8088
Bees, Trees, Plants and Dance