[Tango-L] the true meaning of the tango

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Feb 12 08:21:15 EST 2010

I've removed the poster's names because after a while you can't figure out
who wrote what and I don't want to attribute a statement to the wrong
poster.

Tango in BA is completely DIFFERENT from tango in the United States. In
Argentina, the emphasis is on connection. Up here, the focus is on figures.

In BA, just about every woman at the milongas I attended had their eyes
closed, feeling completely safe and secure from collisions. Up here, I see
very few women who are comfortable enough to dive into the "tango zone"
where time just seems to stop and you feel you are alone with your partner
on the dance floor. The next time you're at a milonga, just watch the women.
Some have a look of bliss on their face and others have a look of "OMG. What
is he going to lead next and can I figure it out in time?" Watch couples who
chase the music and others who let it imbue them with warmth.

I discovered that if a man wants to impress a woman with his skill, DON'T
impress. It's hard to believe that the "simple" six figures the Argentines
dance, described in an earlier message, are enough to last a tanda.

Michael
Washington, DC
Going crazy with a record 54 inches of snow this winter and couldn't  get
out to dance. Now that I can get out, the milongas are canceled. Come on
Spring!!!