[Tango-L] Naming figures and deccorations

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 12 10:12:42 EST 2010

" Los
> extranjeros nunca van a entender el significado verdadero del  tango. Se trata del
> abrazo, la coneccion con tu pareja y la musica. Nada  mas."

An absurd generalization, I agree. To say that is equivalent to saying that non-Italians cannot understand opera or non Americans cannot understand Jazz or Rock&roll .   Argentine Tango has a Universal appeal because any human being can feel its music and   pleasure dancing its choreography.

I remember one night, in the early 90ies., we were in Buenos Aires with some North American friends, their first time at a milonga in the city.

I pointed to them as an example a couple that seemed to embody Argentine Tango at its best: The embrace, the connection, the musicality, the navigation, the mesmerized expression in their faces,...oblivious and alert at the same time...to their surroundings...

- I said do you see? - those are typical Porteños dancing tango -.

...They were Americans from California.

As to knowing tango terminology it is very useful to exchange ideas or to teach tango so that we can understand each other as we all speak the same language.   A boleo is a boleo after all, don't you think? What is an "Amague", and una "Cuchilla".???

Best regards, Sergio