[Tango-L] the true meaning of the tango

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 11 22:30:57 EST 2010

" Los extranjeros nunca van a entender el  significado verdadero del
tango. Se trata del abrazo, la coneccion con tu  pareja y la musica.
Nada mas".
("The foreigners will never understand the  true meaning of the tango.
It is the embrace, the connection with your  partner and the music.
Nothing more.")

This is a very general, and I  think insulting, remark. To say that
only the Argentines have the ability to  understand these things
boarders on the edge of bigitry, and if it is true,  who's fault is
that since it is the Argentines who have taught the rest of  the the
world (directly or indirectly) the dance that is the  Tango.

Is this a direct quote from Senor Dassieu, or is this  something that
you yourself believe?
("The foreigners will never  understand the true meaning of the tango.
It is the embrace, the connection  with your partner and the music.
Nothing more."

This is a quote from  me and if I didn’t believe it I wouldn’t say it let
me explain. It’s not an  absolute truth it’s a general observation. It’s a
philosophy that one must  embrace it’s like the concept of being in the
moment focusing on the music and  your partner. Bill if we are looking through
the same eyes we are not seeing  leaders focusing on the music and the woman
we are seeing everything but  that.

Are you yourself from Argentina?

I’m not from Argentina but  my wife is.

Do you understand these things?

Yes it took many years  for me to realize that tango is about the
connection and the music.

Is  this something that cannot be taught?

It’s a philosophy not a  figure it can be explained and talked about but I
think one needs to figure it  out on there own and eventually “get it” some
never will.  If you read the  previous post you would see what Tony was
talking about : “the american psyche  being steeped in statistics and analysis
how can one have feeling for the music  and the dance form in one's heart
when so much information and detail is  twirling around in your head.”
I was agreeing with Tony and for those  who have traveled to BsAs and seen
the older men moving around the floor each  one in his own space dancing for
only the music and the woman in his arms it’s a  thing of beauty it’s
tango.
David