[Tango-L] Rate of movement on crowded floors

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 11:06:12 EST 2010

--- On Tue, 2/9/10, Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> wrote:

> In my experience, in BOTH the US and Buenos Aires when it
> gets crowded, the line of dance doesn't progress very quickly.
> When it gets super crowded things slow to a crawl, but again that
> happens in both places.

Navigation skills are not an issue for the men that I've talked with about this.  Sean has mentioned things barely moved when he was at the Portland tango fest several years ago.  The festivals I go to aren't so crowded.

I have a theory that perhaps it's that many teachers tend to emphasize turning figures that stay in place instead of turning figures that travel. Or perhaps students tend to practice the in-place turns because they are easier than doing the traveling turns.  Someone suggested to me that there's an underlying musical phrasing with the Argentines that keeps them moving.

Do they have milongas in BsAs with 300-400 people at a time?

Trini de Pittsburgh