[Tango-L] Rate of movement on crowded floors

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Feb 9 10:12:06 EST 2010

What is your experience, Trini?

I think some people's frustration with navigational issues (i.e. road
rage) becomes painted as a universal truth, when it is mainly their
personal complaint or personal difficulty with dancing small and
musically. To be fair, until you gain experience with crowded
conditions you feel cramped rather than comfortable.

In my experience, in BOTH the US and Buenos Aires when it gets
crowded, the line of dance doesn't progress very quickly. When it gets
super crowded things slow to a crawl, but again that happens in both
places.

The bigger difference is when the dance floor is not so crowded. In
the US, leaders sometimes race around athletically. Leaders who aren't
racing frantically, still tend to travel fairly quickly around the
floor with very few chewy pauses or slow-movements. In Buenos Aires,
the leaders choose a more paced interpretation of the music.

On Feb 9, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:

> Hola listeros!
> I've heard from a couple of people that there's a big difference in
> the speed at which people travel on the dance floors in BsAs versus
> the crowded festivals in the U.S.  Basically, in the U.S., the LOD
> slows to a crawl.  In BsAs, however, the LOD continues at its usual
> pace, even if it's heavily packed.  One reason why this is that in
> the U.S. leaders tend to wait for the person ahead of them to move
> before they go into the space.  In BsAs, people just dance along.
> One leader described it as being pulled along.
> Trini de Snowburgh

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
Denver, CO 80207