[Tango-L] Rate of movement on crowded floors

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 9 09:38:37 EST 2010

Hola listeros!

Seeing that I'll be getting hit with another big snowfall on top of 20 inches here, I thought'd I'd spend my snowed in time on Tango-L.  Here's my question.

I've heard from a couple of people that there's a big difference in the speed at which people travel on the dance floors in BsAs versus the crowded festivals in the U.S.  Basically, in the U.S., the LOD slows to a crawl.  In BsAs, however, the LOD continues at its usual pace, even if it's heavily packed.  One reason why this is that in the U.S. leaders tend to wait for the person ahead of them to move before they go into the space.  In BsAs, people just dance along.  One leader described it as being pulled along.

This brings up a question of how do we change things in the U.S. to encourage a moving floor, even if it's crowded?  Obviously, this would need to start a local level.  Your thoughts?

Trini de Snowburgh