[Tango-L] Rate of movement on crowded floors

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Feb 9 15:15:27 EST 2010

I'm not going anywhere because my car is locked in from compounded snow and
ice and 16+ inches of snow is on the way. The federal government in
Washington has been closed for two days @ $100 Million cost to the
taxpayers, who I thank for two days off.

Based on the milongas I attended in BA, the main difference is the
Argentines dance in close embrace but there is a lot of open embrace in the
States, which takes up much more room, leaving less dance space. Also,
Argentines only know five figures, and they are content. They don't use
figures that stop the line of dance.

Based on reading the class schedules at festivals, the emphasis is on
figures. Rarely, do I see a class dealing with navigation or what to do in a
traffic jam. I remember Robin Thomas taught a class on what to do in a
traffic jam. I thought the figure looked familiar. Then I realized it was a
figure from AMERICAN ballroom. But it was still good to know.

If you want to encourage maintaining a flow of traffic, that's what you
teach at festivals. Don't teach figures that STOP the line.

I remember Alan Forde saying at the Atlanta Festival "You're not just
dancing with your partner. You're dancing with everybody else on the floor."
Until dancers understand that, expect traffic jams on the floor.

Michael
Washington, D.C.  Winter Wonderland because we wonder when it's going to end
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines