[Tango-L] Statistical Tango

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Dec 30 17:31:01 EST 2010

I remember learning Pareto optimality in my statistics class at the
University of Hartford. Pareto was an Italian economist who discovered that
a high proportion of a population have low incomes, while a small proportion
have very high incomes. It has sometimes been reduced to the "80/20 Rule"
which is described in economics where 80% of the wealth is in the hands of
20% of the population.

I'm modifying the 80/20 rule to Tango. 80% of the time, you dance 20% of
everything you know. 20% of the time, you dance the other 80% you know.
Below is a list of figures I consider danced 80% and 20% of the time:

Danced 80% of the time                                Danced 20% of the time
Ochos (both directions)                                 Volcadas
Molinetes (both directions)                            Colgadas
Walking                                                         Barridas
Ocho Cortado                                                Everything else
Sacadas
Boleos

Based on the above split, it seems strange that a lot of classes concentrate
on figures or combinations that are danced 20% of the time. It seems that a
half hour after the class, enough of the material is forgotten that students
can't dance what was taught, which explains why so many cameras are brought
to class.

If the above information is correct, why is the focus on what is danced 20%
of the time instead of what is danced 80% of the time?

Michael

Going to New York tomorrow for an all night milonga to bring in the New
Year. I hope Manhattan has been plowed

I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines