[Tango-L] Type-A Tango Salon or Show ?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 12:31:45 EST 2010

I propose a different way of classifying salon or show tango - looking at what the woman is doing.  Is she the one being shown off?  Are her ornaments dominating the dance?  I know when I perform, my ornaments are bigger.  My partner allows me to make them bigger or encourages it.  When I'm just doing social salon tango, I don't try to make them more visible.

I have in mind Diego DiFalco and Carolina Zokalski who are teaching here on a regular basis.  Someone told me that he wasn't going to take their workshops because he thought they were show tango.  I explained that they don't do show tango, but salon tango at a really high level.  Some of their performances are definitely show tango as they may come from shows that they've done.  But you can tell which ones those are.  Carolina rarely does big ornaments.  In fact, she doesn't ornament much at all.  Although she performs, Carolina doesn't consider herself a performance dancer.  She's a social dancer.

When women do big ornaments that are clearly meant for the audience, that's show tango.

Trini de Pittsburgh