[Tango-L] Gringos in BsAs milongas

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Dec 24 23:14:49 EST 2010

Pat:
I agree with you completely about experiencing the culture of traditional
milongas. As in Rome, do as the Romans. Why spend hours in a plane so you
can eat McDonalds in BA? It also helps to know some Spanish. Expecting the
Argentines to speak English just isn't reasonable. I'm sure that is one
reason people go in groups so they don't have to worry about the language.
You're missing out on part of the traditional experience if you don't use
cabeceo. Tango in BA is completely different! At Lo del Celia, the space is
small and navigation is more important than figures. I was surprised to find
that the Argentines only use about 7 figures - - and they are content.

Happy New Year to all.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines
Going to NY for New Year's Eve