[Tango-L] Type A Tango

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 20:19:51 EST 2010

 I'm going to stick my neck out here..feel free to swing away.
 Here is Bora's latest practice session posted a few hours ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xAlGZVf854
 I didn't read the blog post yet titled 'Working Hard'...yep, that's what I
thought it said...
 I guess dancing isn't supposed to be fun when one is in training for 'dancing
with the stars'.
 Anyway, I respect the woman's professed love of the music and dance but I am
agreeing with
 Jack over HBBoogie here.  I think that 'Salon' is simply the new catch word for
covert 'performance' tango.
 I also believe that distinguishing between Performance and Social dance is what
will save the social dance
 from extinction....ok these are my own pet prejudices... anyway, these practice
dances leave me cold and I'd like to note 'why'....first off, I would not have
guessed that one of the dancers is Argentine...the reason is that I can usually
tell an Argentine dancer by his/her cadencia...jaja and what is 'cadencia'?
Well, I define it as 'dancing' and dancing in a way that involves the whole
body....often dancers born and bred in other countries have this same flat,
deadly look to their dance...like only the feet are involved..Second, I still
don't think that the woman is really dancing...it doesn't look like a 'dance' to
me...it looks like obedient moves from one figure to another...and the
musicality?..forgedaboudit....the musicality is sad and surely they should have
been paying a lot of attention to the music even if it is a practice. ... this
sort of concentration on the body and not the music is exactly what Pedro
Sanchez was referring to in the quote below in my signature..   Hey, I always
considered myself a natural dancer until I met Argentine tango.....  the Milonga
song was no problem to dance to and my partners all had fun with my Vals..but it
was the tango and being danced like it is in this video that cooked my
goose...ugh!  .... I had to find out how to turn this dead-fish, pose oriented
series of movements into a dance....  the answer...I'm still working on it and
far from out of the forest...but the answer seems to be ;  simplify simplify
simplify...get 4 or max 5 different things that you do besides the walks and get
them down to where you own them....to where it's like playing a 5 key piano and
then,- only listen to the music! .... thanks for listening to my rant.
..

www.youtube.com/user/nacotete
www.tangoandchaos.org
www.theopendoorway.org/audiovisual.html
"The music makes you dance. It is so simple when one gets it. Connect with my
partner and then connect with the music, let the music tell me how to move my
body rather than me tell my body how to move to the music. With the right music
and right partner, I am contented to have just one tanda a night" -Pedro Sanchez