[Tango-L] Tango-L Digest, Vol 57, Issue 5

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Thu Dec 23 21:24:16 EST 2010

observations from a number of quite lengthy visits has been that the
overwhelming majority of Argentine women look very uncomfortable when
approached directly at their table. At times adjusting their chair to avoid
contact. I don't think I have seen a Porteno approach the table of a Portena
unless they were friends. All my impressions have been that it's simply bad
form. Of course there are a few places where cultural norms (form) have been
largely discarded. And as I've oft heard from a Porteno, why show respect to
a gringo woman who doesn't understand. I for one hope that the culture of
traditional milongas lingers and regains its strength. I sit on a plane for
16 hours and spend thousands of dollars every year to experience their way
of doing things, not to change them. Why would we want to export our barren
Western culture to anyone?
However I do agree with Brick that there's no "one true way to do tango" but
simply in my opinion, the Porteno way and the rest.

Anton