[Tango-L] 10,000 instructors on the wall

tony parkes macromagix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 13:58:39 EST 2010

i agree with you 200% mario

i have been to many workshops, supposedly for beginner, intermediate,
advanced.... whatever, however at the end of the day, the week, the
month, the year, most of the content is consigned to my scrap heap.
the teachers are luring the public with trash and flash, most of which
is inappropriate anyway on a crowded dance floor, and, something else
that i have found, very hard if not impossible to lead to a follower
who has not done the same workshop

my girlfriend here in buenos aires dances with many of the old
milongueros, and when i ask her what i lack compared to what they have
and is obviously so much a drug for her, she looks wistfully at me
then answers. first it is the embrace, you know immediately this man
cares for you and you can relax, submit to him. and then he moves,
totally leading with the chest. then she begins to glide with her
leader, and with the better ones she flies, almost in a trance. and
she tells me, forget the fancy moves, the fast turns. just connect
with her, the music and the dance floor, the rest is just window
dressing

unfortunately i think that the simplest ie walking with elegance in
time with the music and your partner in a line and/or confined space
is the hardest. the flash trash is easiest to teach and unfortunately
money hungry teachers know this only too well

cheers
tony

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I certainly and wholeheartedly agree with the previous post about the confusion
> of taking class from every 'teacher' who comes down the pike...  in fact, I've
> been thinking on posting on the 'Care and feeding of male leads' that a BIG
> reason for the high dropout rate is exactly that...the confusion and defeat
> experienced by new male leads when confronted with teacher after teacher
> 'instructing' them on what is right and what is wrong...ugh
>  With a less intense commercial atmosphere, perhaps a dancer could be left
> somewhat to his own devices and the feedback of the dance and dance partner to
> evolve his own personal style and go on to focus on other things...like the
> music and the enjoyment of the dance.
>
> One obvious fact that I can point to is that there seems to be a BIG LACK of
> anyone attempting to help the poor newbie lead to at first master the ronda, the
> line of dance and the simple but infinitely rich walks and turns that would
> allow him to attend milongas, dance and enjoy the experience.... No, far from
> that, the emphasis is instead on figures that no one ever seems to master or use
> and the hype of the class as THE place to practice dance and NOT the milonga
> itself....  think about it, I see this everywhere I've been and if you are not
> seeing it...lucky you!

> http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=734224171
> www.youtube.com/user/nacotete
> www.tangoandchaos.org