[Tango-L] 10,000 instructors on the wall

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 13:14:45 EST 2010

 I certainly and wholeheartedly agree with the previous post about the confusion
of taking class from every 'teacher' who comes down the pike...  in fact, I've
been thinking on posting on the 'Care and feeding of male leads' that a BIG
reason for the high dropout rate is exactly that...the confusion and defeat
experienced by new male leads when confronted with teacher after teacher
'instructing' them on what is right and what is wrong...ugh
 With a less intense commercial atmosphere, perhaps a dancer could be left
somewhat to his own devices and the feedback of the dance and dance partner to
evolve his own personal style and go on to focus on other things...like the
music and the enjoyment of the dance.

One obvious fact that I can point to is that there seems to be a BIG LACK of
anyone attempting to help the poor newbie lead to at first master the ronda, the
line of dance and the simple but infinitely rich walks and turns that would
allow him to attend milongas, dance and enjoy the experience.... No, far from
that, the emphasis is instead on figures that no one ever seems to master or use
and the hype of the class as THE place to practice dance and NOT the milonga
itself....  think about it, I see this everywhere I've been and if you are not
seeing it...lucky you!

www.youtube.com/user/nacotete
www.tangoandchaos.org
www.theopendoorway.org/audiovisual.html