[Tango-L] teachers aren't so important

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 22:28:06 EST 2010

 On Thu, 9/12/10, Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:

> From: Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net>
> Subject: Re: [Tango-L] teachers aren't so important
> To: "Sandhill Crane" <grus.canadensis at yahoo.com>, tango-l at mit.edu
> Date: Thursday, 9 December, 2010, 22:13
[.............]

> My teacher taught what I needed, not what I wanted. There's
> a big difference
> between the two, and not always obvious.
>
> Michael

  Very very true. Unfortunately, a teacher who teaches what the students need soon finds himself out of a job. So most mediocre wannabe "teachers" find easy money in teaching fancy steps [which the students want, but soon forget, & have to come back for more fancy steps] thereby creating a whole army of cripples who, if they ever, eventually, dance properly, do so in spite of their "teachers", after a long, unnecessarily slow empirical process, with little theoretical input. No wonder that some generalise that teachers are not so important; but that is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Andrew W. RYSER SZYMAÑSKI,
23b All Saints Road,
London, W11 1HE,
07944 128 739.