[Tango-L] Social-ethical behavior and protocols

Ruben Malan rubenmalan at comcast.net
Tue Aug 31 19:05:01 EDT 2010

Tango-L/[Tango-L] Social-ethical behavior and protocols

Bad behavior and misconduct at milongas.

 "Judging from the responses on the Tango-L it is not exclusive to us but I
can't really speak for other nationalities.  This free "interpretation" and
disregard for the codigos of tango is just another example of why we are
perceived as such.  Too bad the dancing doesn't rise to the same heights as
the arrogance, but then again that shouldn't be a surprise."

I have three comments I must share with you friends to answer this accurate
Charles' observation:

1)Yes, indeed there is a lot of arrogance here. It is on our culture. In
part is because we are a mighty, so vast, rich, and quite egocentric
nation.  We became the center of the world because the significant roll we
played during the WW I and II and many others scientific, cultural, musical
political, (to just mention some) contributions  . We may often consider
other cultures and "poor" countries of the third world being  beneath our
standards. It is more. We want to impose our standards on them.

We want to copy and adopt the good from other societies and traditions.
However, most of the time, since we are immersed in a super-materialistic
society, we get only the surface of them, the exterior part of the practice
or art. We miss or ignore  the essence quite often.  Few examples?  Yoga,
Tai-chi, martial arts, mystical practices or disciplines, and of course:
ARGENTINE  TANGO. I do not like to generalize but after living here for more
than 37 years, I'm convinced of my daring but careful observation.

2)There is another cultural aspect that we must weight here. I observed that
a great majority of the people that I met, they were very concern when they
have to judge a misbehavior or a wrong conduct. They usually or call the
police, they send you to court, they ignore you, they stop calling you, but
they never come forward to tell you in your face what is going wrong. This
idiosyncrasy can be seen as hypocrisy, lack of sincerity, or fearful lack of
cowardly.

Therefore, some people do not come forward to condemn a bad behavior at
milongas as I did. Their rationale? "I prefer to say something positive
rather negative;" I do not agree to ventilate those things in public."  It
seems that, with this "Pontio Pilato" like rationale, the alternate option
will be then gossiping and backbiting.  In most of the cases when there is
something wrong going on, unless they are not suffering directly on their
own flesh, they remain quiet and silent when observing injustice,
misconduct, and out of the line behaviors, propitiating the continuation of
them and even becoming accomplices. All because the fear of risking prestige
or anything.

3)After sharing my negative experience  with a lady grossly misbehaving at
a milonga, some people came forward privately to identify themselves with my
legitimate concern, to give support and good advise. However, few people,
less than the number of my right hand fingers,  had the courage to say
something condemning that unacceptable conduct.  That "washing my hands"
approach , ignoring my complain and the real facts, recalls a wise quote
from a great man:

"The greatest atrocity of the bad things of the bad people, is the silence
of the good people. THE SILENCE OF THE GOOD PEOPLE HORRIFY ME MORE THAN THE
ACT OF THE BAD ONES." -Gandhi

I lost two or three friends or half-friend after posting my honest concern
with courage. However,  the misbehaved lady in question is still negating
any wrong doing, leading a local tango organization and hosting workshops
and milongas, ready misbehave forward again.

Clean and strong hugs,

Nicetune.