[Tango-L] social ethical behavior

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Aug 31 18:14:14 EDT 2010

Martin:
The reason cabeceo doesn't work well in New York (and other places) is
milongas are close to pitch black and women aren't trained to use cabeceo.
Even if cabeceo isn't used, it would still be wonderful for the milonga to
be illuminated so you could see who is there! Somebody commented at a recent
tango festival that women wore great evening gowns, which nobody could see
because the lighting was minimal. I've been told the reason for minimal
lighting is ambience. When you have a great partner, you create your own
ambience.

I didn't go to all 1600 milongas when I visited Buenos Aires in April 2009
but at the ones I attended, the lights were up and cabeceo was used. It
wasn't as bright as the sun but at least you could see.

You're losing out on a lot of dances because you're using cabeceo when
nobody else is following the code. I'm not sure there are codes at milongas
in North America.

Michael Ditkoff
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines