[Tango-L] so called ethical behavior

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Tue Aug 31 13:40:02 EDT 2010

Ah Niki, come to nyc, where the gender imbalance is in your favor!
Entonces, most leaders here are very aggressive in trying to get tandas.
Not only will they use verbal invites, but some, pretending to be
gallant but really coming off as boorish,  will even interrupt your
conversations, extending their hand between a man and the woman he is
speaking with to get her onto the dance floor.   I agree with Sergio re
the value of the codigos and I refuse to give up the cabaceo, even if it
means I get less dances in NYC.
-Martin Nussbaum

Most people from the U.S. have visited the world but not many have actually lived in Latin American or other countries for any length of time.  If they had they would often gain perspective on why we are considered so arrogant and feel we can bend rules or criticize other cultures' morals and lifestyle even when we participate in those lifestyles.  Judging from the responses on the Tango-L it is not exclusive to us but I can't really speak for other nationalities.  This free "interpretation" and disregard for the codigos of tango is just another example of why we are perceived as such.  Too bad the dancing doesn't rise to the same heights as the arrogance, but then again that shouldn't be a surprise.

Cheers,
Charles