[Tango-L] social ethical behavior

macfroggy@aol.com macfroggy at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 13:40:13 EDT 2010

 Vince, this is so inaccurate!

 If the "porteno" is under 30, he probably goes to practicas where anything goes.

As a dancer who has lived and taught tango with my milonguero parter in BsAs for many years, let me assure you that the codigos are still respected and observed in all of the traditional milongas.

In places like La Viruta, where the idea is to meet someone for extracurricular activities after the milonga and not to dance beautiful tangos, many men are aggressive and assault women at their tables (if they're lucky enough at La Viruta to have a table) by grabbing their arms and taking them to the dance floor. This works particularly well with foreigners and young people who have not learned the codigos.

But just try this at a traditional milonga! The guy will be laughed out the door.

Cherie
http://tangocherie.blogspot.com

I have it on good authority from someone who has returned and experienced

*many* milongas in BsAs that most portenoes do not use the codes.  In fact

they approach women as men do so in Australia.  And yes, there are sleazes

amongst them.

The notions of romantic codes have been lost I think upon the modern

generation.

BTW, it is Niki, not Nick

Vince

In Melbourne