[Tango-L] social ethical behavior

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 14:10:18 EDT 2010

You may think of this what you wish, but here's an excerpt of my experience from

a recent visit to Bs As dancing at a traditional afternoon milonga (3-10pm).

My partner and I always set together and mostly danced with each other. On three

occasions (out of four visits to that milonga), men (each older than 60, I
estimate) signaled me from a distance to see if it is okay to invite my partner
to dance; I affirmed, they then connected with my partner with a cabeceo and
danced.

On one occasion a young fellow stepped out in front of our table, which was at
the edge of the floor so he was standing on the floor with no one else on the
floor, and asked my partner to dance - she declined.

BTW, my partner and I had an agreement that if she wanted to dance with someone
else, she would let me know (sometimes I suggested a good dancer to her as
well), and I would facilitate the exchange by giving the gentleman a chance to
confer with me first.

This all may seem quite anachronistic and chauvinistic but it worked well
because it followed the unwritten rules of behavior and eliminated
any embarrassment or discomfort.

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
this life is not a rehearsal