[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior and protocol

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 10:38:55 EDT 2010

Myk says: " Maybe the Argentineans need to make up their minds one way or the other ".

"There's a serious logical disconnect between these two points. If people
go to tango just for dancing, with no "picking up" involved, then there
would be no reason not to dance with a lady who is romantically
involved. Clearly, tango is considered to be flirting at the very least
by those who believe that romantically attached people should not dance
with others".

We already did...long time ago.

We dance tango for the "feeling", for the "embrace", for the "connection", also for the flirtation, the seduction, the physical contact, and all the emotions I described in my prior note "The reason I dance tango".

We surrender to our partner and to the embrace.  We are able to do this with entire freedom because we know that this brief "love affair" brings  no consequences, no obligations, no risks.

The music stops,... we wake up... and I escort the lady to her table.

When we are in love we like to experience all those very strong feelings, "only" with the person we love. Notice that I said "we", she and I, and most people that dance tango.

Is this so difficult to understand?

Knowing all this, and I will say this with the most respect for your point of view,... if you wish to dance tango as if it was fox-trot, please do and have fun, but do not try to understand our perspective, as this may be an exercise in futility . People dance tango for many different reasons.

Have beautiful tangos,

Sergio