[Tango-L] Music preferences

Pat Petronio petronio at adam.com.au
Tue Aug 17 05:18:34 EDT 2010

> From: "Vince Bagusauskas" <vytis at hotmail.com>
> I think that Australians prefer instrumental more so
> too....................
>
> A sweeping statement.  At Milonga Para Los Ni?os on 31 July
> (Brisbane), excluding 3 brackets from Cuarteto amenabar, I played 31
> instrumental and 25  with vocal, across Tango, vals and milonga.
> Still getting compliments after 3 weeks.

> Personally, I find milongas without a balance of inst /
> vocal boring.  I can't imagine a milonga without Podesta, Vargas,
> Ledesma, Campos, Castillo, Rufino, Duran..........
> John

Like John, I'm also an Australian DJ. I tend to play a larger proportion of
vocals (of the danceable variety, rather than tango cancion) at regular
milongas in my hometown of Adelaide, as well as at interstate events
attended by lots of seasoned dancers, such as tango festivals in Sydney. My
experience certainly reflects what John described.

One possible theory to explain why some prefer to dance to instrumentals is
that it may take a little longer to appreciate and respond well to tangos
with the vocal element. However, that develops with regular exposure. Why
limit oneself just to instrumentals, when there's soooo much more? Let me
take this opportunity to add a few to the list of greats mentioned by John:
Maure,  Echague, Beron, Fiorentino, Dante, Ruiz, Fama, etc.

Pat
www.tangosalonadelaide.blogspot.com