[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 13:35:04 EDT 2010

--- On Fri, 8/13/10, Charles Roques <c.roques at mchsi.com> wrote:

> btw the term milonguero and milonguera are almost never
> used outside of Buenos Aires, or at least shouldn't
> be.  They refer to the older longtime dancers who have
> reached a certain status in the clubs there.  Never for
> an American or foreigner.

I can't really go along with this. "Milonguero" just means
someone who spends a lot of time at milongas. In the old
days it wasn't so complimentary, maybe you can spend a lot
of time at milongas because you don't have a job, you're
sponging off your friends or something. We may as well use
the word purely as a description. If you spend a lot of time
at milongas, for better or worse you're a milonguero.