RE: [Tango-L] ¿Código -- historia?

Brian Dunn brianpdunn at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 24 20:19:10 EDT 2009

Ilene, you wrote:

On the subject of codes, this morning I came across this Victorian dance
code article that I find very interesting and think it's well worth the
read for those interested in codices...
http://www.victoriana.com/Etiquette/ballroomdancing.htm
<<<

Utterly fascinating, Ilene - thanks very much.

One of the great things about tangoandchaos.org is the deeply personal and
extensively detailed set of experiences Rick McGarrey shared about his years
of encounters with various codigos - I was going to try to pull out a page
ref, but his server is slow today...plus, I don't think they are really
collected in one place, if I remember right.

Much like the field of comparative physiology explores how Nature has solved
similar physiological problems in different species (ex: how sharks and
dolphins solve the problems of being open-ocean top predators in such very
different ways) it could be fascinating to do a "comparative codigos"
study...

Anyway, your Victorian gem motivated a quick Google search for "milonga
codes" - for academically inclined French readers among us, there's a
fascinating sounding downloadable legal article which uses milongas and
their codes as an example of "everyday law" in the realms of personal
status, contract law (!) and highway codes (!!) (includes abstract in
English):

It's thirty-five pages long, but for myself I hope some Francophone is
motivated to harvest some small goodies through translation for the rest of
us...

All the best,
Brian Dunn
Dance of the Heart
www.danceoftheheart.com
"Building a Better World, One Tango at a Time"