Re: NA-E: [Tango-L] ¿Código -- historia?

robin tara robinctara at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 14:41:11 EDT 2009

Codigos, New England, circa 1935.

My dad was a 6'6" lanky guy who should have been self confident, for all his
gifts. Sadly, he was a wimp. When he was to attend his first high school
formal, it had been arranged for him and his date to meet at his home. She
swept in, shook off her wrap and revealed her entire bare back. My father
quickly took his mother aside and said "Where do I put my hand when we
dance?" She pulled the handkerchief out of his pocket and handed it to him.
"Use this."

2009/10/24 Ilene Marder <imhmedia at yahoo.com>

> On the subject of codes, this morning I came across this Victorian dance
> code article that I find very interesting and think it's well worth the
> read for those interested in codicos. ( Milonga organizers take note
> too, as to the role of hosts!!!) These kinds of  dance hall codes really
> stem from human nature and the desire to avoid unpleasant circumstances
> between the sexes!
> I found the 'In the Ballroom" section particularly interesting.
> These codicos for Victorian ballrooms were in place just prior to the
> advent of tango...
> happy reading...
> Ilene
>
> http://www.victoriana.com/Etiquette/ballroomdancing.htm
>
> Maria Olivera wrote:
>
> >Hello everybody,
> >
> >Actually, there's a very interesting piece written about the etiquette
> >(codes). The website Andy mentions in his earlier message is our website,
> >and my partner (Gustavo Benzecry Sabá) published his "Embracing Tango -
> >Techniques and metaphors between tango and life"

Robin Tara

http://www.taratangoshoes.com
http://www.tangotique.com