[Tango-L] No place left to dance

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Oct 20 02:09:22 EDT 2009

As the organizer for the Denver & San Diego festivals, I can reassure
you that the concept of festivals for social dancing remains: "By
Dancers; for Dancers". The milongas are arranged for social dancing:
good djs, rectangular dance floor with tables and chairs around the
periphery, tandas of traditional social tango, and cortinas for
partner changing.

For Larry: Navigation is never as good as we would like; It's not
really as bad as we fear; there are often a few loose cannons;
tolerance helps.

For Ron: Homer Ladas is famous as a skillful nuevo dancer. He is also
extremely good at navigation and social dancing. Jaimes Friedgen is
not far behind. Brigitta Winkler has studied extensively with Gustavo,
has a long history at performance dance, and was instrumental in the
introduction of milonguero to the US and Europe.

So, yes, all three are famous for their nuevo talent, yet all three
are extremely good social dancers.

LOOK.

There are good navigators and bad navigators, no matter what style.
I'm well known as a milonguero teacher and organizer, but the
navigation issue is about social dancing, and context (class, stage,
practice, milonga), not style. The good nuevo dancers all know how to
dance socially and courteously in the milonga context.

I agree that the loose cannons can be irritating, but I have noticed a
steady maturation of skill at the festivals over the years.

I've also noticed as steady decline of navigation skill and courtesy
in Buenos Aires milongas since I first went there almost 15 years ago.

On Oct 19, 2009, at 10:37 PM, RonTango wrote:

> [...]

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
Denver, CO 80207