[Tango-L] No place left to dance

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 11:43:32 EDT 2009

By the way, Tom, thanks for organizing the festivals,
I know it is a lot of work and I appreciate it a lot.

--- On Tue, 10/20/09, Tom Stermitz <stermitz at tango.org> wrote:

> For Larry: Navigation is never as good as we would like;
> It's not really as bad as we fear; there are often a few loose
> cannons; tolerance helps.

I don't "fear" bad navigation. It was simply shoved in my
face at every milonga at the last Denver festival.

I think I've had my fill of tolerance. If I steer away
from some guy doing his 96 varieties of ganchos, it
gives him more room, and some other poor fool is stuck
next to him instead of me. That doesn't really improve
the situation.

> The good nuevo dancers all know how to
> dance socially and courteously in the milonga context.

No, they DON'T. The students of Homer, Gustavo, etc learn
what the masters think is important -- namely, how to do
lots of visually interesting tricks. How to cope with
other people on the floor is secondary, at best.
How can we tell? Their students DO NOT learn that.

Thanks again for all your work to promote tango.
It really benefits a lot of people, myself among them.