[Tango-L] natural separation

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 16:17:57 EDT 2009

Simply, the community is not large enough to  support separate
traditional/nuevo milongas. Also, for an average milonga  attendance of
40-60 people (Budapest), there are over a dozen people who do  teach. Of
course, they aren't teaching that 60 people. Simply, the amount of
activity and overall tango population numbers are different: the mailing
list for tango has over 300 members, tango courses usually churn out an
average of a 1000 people per year. The problem is that most Hungarians
are simply not interested in going to milongas, only learning 'some
tango' (long story - has to do with danceschool tradition: people are
led to believe for decades, that they only need 8-lesson courses and
they have the basics in any dance). So milongas became the meeting point
for the fanatics, the elite, a large percent of them with enough
knowledge to teach (this is something we are trying to change
desperately - especially the nuevo folks...). Also, most of Eastern
Europe is nuevo land. Traditional teachers were considered lame by the
general population, because dancing is/was mostly a stage phenomenon
(after 40 years of state sponsored cheap elitist dance education and
performances - along with the Soviet-Russian influence - it is a normal
attitude) for the older people, for the younger ones, the freedom (and
the youth of teachers) in nuevo was/is more appealing. That's about it,
I guess. But nuevo folks dance to traditional tango, in close embrace,
even if sometimes (when they have the space and the chance) to fancy
stuff as well. For us it is completely organic to show characteristics
of nuevo, salón, even canyuengue within the same dance... purists may
cry now.
Cheers,
Aron

Aron after reading about your tango  community I can sympathize with you. I
can see that you need to find a way for  the different styles of tango to
coexist. Here in Southern California we have  many milongas to choose from on
any given night and it looks like a natural  separation is already starting
to happen.
David