[Tango-L] So what is authentic Argentine tango?

Vince Bagušauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:06:22 EDT 2009

 <c63a5fe70910191138ldbd7475m61cd5a74fbb95cb6 at mail.gmail.com>

> whoa=2C hold on vince...
>
>  but you included canyengue within
> your exclusions ! why=2C=20
=20
As I understand read it=2C it is proto-tango not from the Golden Age of tan=
go styles=2C involving flashy steps=2C more space.  It is not tango as we k=
now it Tony. =20
=20
Rock and roll at
=20
=20
=20
> this is what nuevo dancers seem
> happy to ignore.
=20
Some=2C salon style dancers do the same=2C owning the space.  But that is O=
K because they are doing salaon?  Plus as I have said=2C a majority of danc=
ers do nuevo steps to traditional music anyway=2C so it does not matter to =
them what is played.  No-one at the milonga objects=2C the organiser does n=
ot red-card anyone=2C so that is OK too. =20
=20

=20
> vince=2C i don't think you can lay down rules/labels to exclude types of
> dance styles or steps.
=20
If I stuggle to find on the net=2C what is authentic tango including the at=
mosphere surrounding a BsAs milonga=2C what hope the new dancer?
=20
There is one tango I go to in Melbourne that promotes itself as an authenti=
c piece of BsAs=2C but the music and the dance styles are as varied as anyt=
hing you have seen. =20
=20
Good if this post encourages intelligent discussion and a concensus  on wha=
t is authentic tango comes about so that devotees of such can be clear upon=
 it in their rules and promotions.  The off topic discssions I have had wit=
h people who say they love Golden Age tango but cannot tell me what is is=
=2C is very confusing.
=20
cheers=2C
=20