[Tango-L] Missing Magic

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 09:16:09 EDT 2009

--- On Mon, 10/12/09, Keith Elshaw <keith at totango.net> wrote:

> This thought came up recently:
>
> It's been about 4 years that this kind-of malaise has been
> around.
>
> That's a cycle.

Was that the time of the nightclub fire?  I've heard it said that that event really changed the milongas.  When the clubs were closed, people found other things to do and some didn't go back to the milongas.  When people went back they may have changed where they went.  No doubt the success of CITA and the World Championships would have brought in more foreigners and changed the mix, as well.

When Daniel Trenner taught here, he surprised us with some of his take on dancing there thirty years ago.  Like the women holding up the man in the embrace.  Women doing ochos pretty much automatically once they got started and not stopping until they were asked to do something else.  I could see that happening in an environment where people were trying to be social with each other as opposed to being "correct".

Trini de Pittsburgh