[Tango-L] Missing Magic

robin tara robinctara at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:50:31 EDT 2009

Thanks Cherie, Nancy, Shahrukh, Keith, Nina and others who wrote off list
with comments on this thread.
You've all been around this scene for a long  time and have experienced,
more or less what I was getting at.

I want to apologize to anyone for whom my posting seemed like an admonition
to forego the tango  experience in Buenos Aires.  Or to imply that going to
BA these days won't thrill you at all. Both Cherie and Nancy described the
kind of magical experiences that still exist there.

As is always the case, we bring ourselves and all our foibles and experience
to the milonga with us. Many have written about this much better than I can,
so I admit that much of my dismay at the milongas these days is of my own
making. The other is that we have lost many of the "tipos" that made the
milongas fun. Think of Pupi, Omar and Gavito, to name a few. Not to mention
the old milongueros who are leaving the dance floors because of illness,
poverty or death.

Hope you'll all understand that it makes me sad, that;s all.