[Tango-L] N.U.E.V.O.

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Thu Oct 8 00:43:57 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----
> From: Ecsedy Áron <aron at milonga.hu>
>
> I am always fascinated by the insatiable need of Western societies to
> regualte things as if by decree. I believe this is one of the biggest
> obstacles in learning how to behave, in tango and in life. The way the
> general perception see latins... Paying attention to the justifiable
> needs of others as a default, and knowing when you cross the line (not
> forbidden, just not pretending that you are entitled to do so) would
> help both the US and Europe become much more 'liveable'. Right now, if
> there is a 'rule' for something then nobody gives a sh*t about what is
> balanced, and what happens to the other person. Those 'codigos' are
> simple things to avoid a more aggressive confrontation. They aren't
> really rules as such. They are life insurance policies. You can break
> them, but retalation will not be automatic. Only if the breaking of the
> rule caused harm to someone else.

This is incorrect. Milonga codes are not as strictly enforced in Buenos Aires as they were in the past, but they still exist. Reckless navigation is frowned upon. If it is flagrant, you will be spoken to by the milonga organizer. (The violator's lack of knowledge of Spanish makes this a futile intervention.) You don't approach the table of someone whom don't know to ask for a dance. (Most likely you will be turned down.) You use the cabeceo instead. You don't invite someone to dance who is part of a couple. You don't dance the cortina. You don't drop someone in the middle of a tanda. Someone who violates these rules will be peripheralized, not invited to dance, in extreme cases asked to leave the milonga.

In fact, by comparison it is North American milongas that often lack these rules. What I see is that the Nuevoistas and the Nuevoista-wannabies act often act like rebellious adolescents who don't want to be controlled by rules. As long as there is no blood on the floor, everything is cool. Dancers who want to have some decorum at milongas (adhere to the line-of-dance, don't bump into people) are framed as control freaks, tango police, and even tango fascists. What I see happening repeatedly is that despite saying they respect tango tradition, the music, and the customs, in their actions the Nuevoistas are forgetting tradition, ignoring the music, and rebelling against customs in their display of this new evolved form of tango. Call it Nuevo or call it just bad manners, but more and more people are getting fed up with the coup d'etat that is occurring at many North American milongas. That's why an increasing number of us are calling for segregation of
 events. As far as we're concerned, you can set your own codes of behavior (or lack of standards) at your alternative milongas and we won't care; we just won't attend. Just don't come running into our milongas like the bulls of Pamplona. Instead of saying 'I can't believe that you people are regulating behavior by decree', either abide by the codes of the milonga you attend, or don't come. And, yes, just so people know what to expect, clearly label your milongas as "Alternative" and your teaching as "Nuevo", so people know what to expect.

> I do not believe that the artificial separation (even if voluntary)
> solves anything - it only separates people. The solution would be to pay
> attention to very basic ethics of reciprocity. Do unto others as you
> would have them do unto you. Or rather: Bump into others as you would
> have them bump into you.

Separation is necessary because the goals of the dancers (music, manner of dancing) are incompatible. If you can't respect that codes of the environment, don't impose your codes (or lack of them) on a unappreciative audience. No one is telling you how to run your alternative milongas. Don't force traditionalists to have a Nuevo environment imposed on them against their will.

Ron