[Tango-L] N.U.E.V.O.

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Wed Oct 7 21:20:32 EDT 2009

Don Klein írta:
> I would agree that it would be nice if all chose appropriate venues for
> their styles until they are into protest art or street theater, but that
> doesn't devalue the styles.

I am always fascinated by the insatiable need of Western societies to
regualte things as if by decree. I believe this is one of the biggest
obstacles in learning how to behave, in tango and in life. The way the
general perception see latins... Paying attention to the justifiable
needs of others as a default, and knowing when you cross the line (not
forbidden, just not pretending that you are entitled to do so) would
help both the US and Europe become much more 'liveable'. Right now, if
there is a 'rule' for something then nobody gives a sh*t about what is
balanced, and what happens to the other person. Those 'codigos' are
simple things to avoid a more aggressive confrontation. They aren't
really rules as such. They are life insurance policies. You can break
them, but retalation will not be automatic. Only if the breaking of the
rule caused harm to someone else.

I do not believe that the artificial separation (even if voluntary)
solves anything - it only separates people. The solution would be to pay
attention to very basic ethics of reciprocity. Do unto others as you
would have them do unto you. Or rather: Bump into others as you would
have them bump into you.

Cheers,
Aron

--