[Tango-L] N.U.E.V.O.

ECSEDY Áron aron at milonga.hu
Thu Oct 8 06:00:35 EDT 2009

> Reckless navigation is frowned upon.
Reckless meaning threatening others, no?
> If it is flagrant, you will be spoken to by the milonga organizer. (The violator's lack of knowledge of Spanish makes this a futile intervention.)
Again...it is disturbing others.
> You don't approach the table of someone whom don't know to ask for a dance. (Most likely you will be turned down.)
Which means that this isn't a rule. Simply, women protect their own
interest for a good dance. An 80+ year old BsAs (folklore) dance teacher
told me once, that she stopped going to milongas (she is dancing tango
aswell), because good dancers tended to ask younger women to dance, and
she doesn't need a bad dance, it is not what she's there for.
> You use the cabeceo instead.
Which works. Or it isn't. Again: it is just the choice of a woman.
Cabeceo is a good way to protect her (and the other's) peace of mind. If
it is not done universally, it will spawn a kind of contest, who is the
more direct ("promiscous") and men get use to be able to ask anyone out
anytime (like in most other parts of the world). Cabeceo is not observed
in all environments within BsAs either.
> You don't invite someone to dance who is part of a couple.
Except if you do. The rules appear to be same as asking someone for a
lunch or dinner. If you aren't aware that she has partner, if she is
open to it, if you know both of them...etc. It is very human. Anyone
with who's not utterly autistic will see this. Or if not, he will be
rejected (then see above).
> You don't dance the cortina.
That isn't a rule. A cortina's role is to separate dances and to allow
people to clear the floor and get read to find a new partner. DJs tend
to play the cortina as long as this is not fulfilled.
> You don't drop someone in the middle of a tanda.
Unless, s/he's a bad dancer, or you just not feeling comfortable to
dance with him/her. I saw it happen regularely.
> In fact, by comparison it is North American milongas that often lack these rules. What I see is that the Nuevoistas and the Nuevoista-wannabies act often act like rebellious adolescents who don't want to be controlled by rules. As long as there is
Apparently, these Nuevoistas are very old adolescents indeed. Some of
them over 50...
> no blood on the floor, everything is cool. Dancers who want to have some decorum at milongas (adhere to the line-of-dance, don't bump into people) are framed as control freaks, tango police, and even tango fascists. What I see happening repeatedly is that despite saying they respect tango tradition, the music, and the customs, in their actions the Nuevoistas are forgetting tradition, ignoring the music, and rebelling against customs in their display of this new evolved form of tango.
All they above is just not paying attention to others. Rules are
external. Goodwill towards your 'dancemates' is internal. That's a
paradigm change which is connected to modernity.
> occurring at many North American milongas. That's why an increasing number of us are calling for segregation of
>  events. As far as we're concerned, you can set your own codes of behavior (or lack of standards) at your alternative milongas and we won't care; we just won't attend. Just don't come running into our milongas like the bulls of Pamplona. Instead of saying 'I can't believe that you people are regulating behavior by decree', either abide by the codes of the milonga you attend, or don't come. And, yes, just so people know what to expect, clearly label your milongas as "Alternative" and your teaching as "Nuevo", so people know what to expect.

That can't work. You are neither allowed to (until they cause harm), and
you can't enforce it either (there is absolutely no legal way to throw
someone out if he is not causing serious problems and paid for the entry
- at least not in Europe). If most of the dancers at a milonga like it
in a certain way, I suggest that instead of being authoritative, try to
chat the trespassers up and while befriending them talk about your
concept, the way you like your milongas, why do you like them that way.
This is much more effective then forcing people. Also makes you sleep a
lot better. Of course, it takes more time then telling them off, but
probably you will not be handled as delusional power crazy fossils either...

Cheers,
Aron

--
Ecsedy Áron