[Tango-L] N.U.E.V.O.

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 7 09:02:23 EDT 2009

Jack you ask "what is this?, I am confused"

I do not know what it is, but I know what it is not.  It is not Argentine Tango or any other form of tango known to me.

The music is not tango, the character of the dance is not tango, there are moves of the upper body or the hips more related to some of the Central American dances that should not be present in A.T.

There are some moves typical of the A.T. choreography such as ganchos (or leg wraps) and a close embrace, this is all that there is in reference to A.T. or any other form of tango.

What  is confusing is the use of the word "Milonga" to describe this type of dance.

The announcement of an "alternative milonga" usually means that a great part of the music played will not be traditional tango, in this particular case neither is the dance being done.

Solution: find a word different than "Milonga" to describe such an event.

Alternative "something" baile? dance? encounter?...

Have a nice day,

Sergio