[Tango-L] Tango Styles II

ECSEDY Áron aron at milonga.hu
Tue Oct 6 06:56:03 EDT 2009

I see there is still this misconcept about nuevo being irregular, using
large moves and causing greef to regular dancers. Well that is a
misconcept fueled by ignorance. Just check out La Viruta any time
outside the general 'tourist period' and you'll see that while most of
the people are nuevo dancers, they are pretty much able to navigate
without problems, collisions in a lot denser crowd than anywhere else on
the planet. I've elaborated on this in one of my previous details. There
is a tendency for dancers whom are more eccentric, more extrovert to be
drawn to nuevo. But it is not nuevo that is causing this. It is the
dancers.

Also, the nuevo concept of teaching allows you to learn the basics much
faster, but in the meantime these fast learners do not have the time to
collect the experience of handling the social environment of the
milonga. Obviously, the ability to do things at a class and the ability
to do it at a milonga are two separate things. At a class students will
most likely not experience a large crowd, and thus do not learn to
navigate appropriately in it. However, they do learn the opposite: they
don't have to pay too much attention to other couples as there is ample
space for everyone.

Personally, beginning from the second or third lesson I make people
dance in a reduced space, usually at half a squaremeter (~0,6 sqyards)
per person. When people have to use their knowledge in such a test
environment, they can easily adapt to small spaces at a milonga.
Obviously, most teachers (nuevo or not) don't do this. The only
difference is, that nuevo dancers are usually ABLE to do it large, while
milonguero dancers are much less able.

> Jack you say "You can intellectualize it any way you want but there have been thousands of posts on Tango-L covering the subject of these 3 'styles' of dancing Tango.  Is everybody wrong?"

In 1632 Galileo Galilei was tried, found guilty by the Inquisition for
heresy, was forced to recant and was under house arrest for the rest of
his life (10 more years). The reason was: he believed in a helicentric
world view (the Copernican model), which was not accepted at the time...

So was he wrong, or the rest of the world was wrong (with some minor
exceptions like Copernicus himself - lucky enough to be born in Poland -
or Giordano Bruno, who wasn't so lucky and thus was burned at the stake)?

Cheers,
Aron

--
Ecsedy Áron