[Tango-L] Nuevo ? Here’s my opinion.

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 20:16:55 EDT 2009

Here’s my opinion.
There are many styles and  techniques taught around the world and also with
that teaching we were taught to  respect the line of dance and to respect
others on the dance floor. I would hope  everyone agrees with this statement.
Let’s face it we have good and bad  dancers in all styles that either don’
t know this rule or simply choose to  ignore it. The problem is we have all
learned to cope with these people who  dance “traditional tango” open or
closed embrace because even though they are  disrupting the floor it’s on a
relatively small scale.

Now along comes  Nuevo and the disruption is bigger and more dangerous to
others because they are  being taught big sweeping moves and changes of
direction which makes it hard for  others to cope with on a social floor.
I don’t think the discussion should  be “What is Nuevo?” come on people we
all know what Nuevo is. The discussion  should be “Where should Nuevo be
danced?
Ask yourself this, can I dance Nuevo  on a Saturday night at El Beso or Lo
de Celia ? It’s not a trick question and we  all know the answer.
Nuevo should be treated like Salsa or Swing and have  their own venues they
could be very popular and profitable too. How about a  Nuevo Festival “By
Nuevo dancers for Nuevo dancers”  This could solve a lot  of disputes.