[Tango-L] Fwd: side sacada

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 12:20:33 EDT 2009

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, Bill Serve <billserve at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I mean by direction of the sacada is the direction of
> the giro, to the leaders left or to the leaders right,  my
> point is that for a front sacada to either the front side or back step of the follower the  leader sacadas with the same foot  as the direction
> of the turn, and for a side sacada he would sacada with the foot that is
> not in the direction of the turn.
>
>  I believe that the leader must go in the direction of the
> follower to replace her foot position with you foot (isn't that what
> Sacada means?). If two people dancing together with each other in
> a circular motion go in different directions they will end up going
> away from each other (different circles) or will bang into each
> other (same circle different directions), so they must both go in the
> same direction or disconnect from each other.

Suppose the woman is doing a forward ocho to the man's right (classic turn to the right) and man wants to sacada her.  Whether he does it with his right foot or his left foot, it's still considered a forward sacada if he takes a forward step.  It's a side sacada if he pivots and does his sacada as a side step.  Whether his sacada is a forward or side step has nothing to do with the direction of the turn or which foot he steps with.  It only has to do with how he is actually stepping.

If he does a forward sacada, the RESULT changes depending on whether he used his left foot or right foot.  But that's okay, and in fact, it's one of the choices a leader makes in deciding to sacada with what foot.  Some people just do it just "because they can", but it a more sophisticated way of dancing is to choose something for a particular effect.

But, really, I don't understand why people are trying to complicate something that is really pretty straightforward.  Both steps 3 and 4 of the 8CB are considered forward steps, right?  Do it while a woman is stepping across in front of you and you've got forward sacadas.

Trini de Pittsburgh