[Tango-L] Way too much kicking

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:09:17 EDT 2009

2009/3/25 Vince Bagušauskas <vytis at hotmail.com>:

> "There is way way too much kicking in the air occurring on the social
> dance floor these days, even in Buenos Aires, by tourists who have
> learned it here and there but not learned the social codes of the
> milonga, specifically - keep you feet on the floor and dance within
> your frame."
>

> Having just experienced Practica X and two other younger (under 40) milongas in BsAs in the last week so far,  the many very excellent local teachers do big moves in the air.  Seems that they are very capable to avoid kicking people.  There are less tourists at these milongas than you think.

I was referring to my experience last July - August at mainstream
milongas (e.g., at El Beso, Plaza Bohemia, Club Gricel), where the
norm for dancing is Tango de Salon. In this environment, where floor
density is high, kicking is unacceptable. The women doing the kicking
were known to be foreigners.

For an even more detailed account of the kicking epidemic in Buenos
Aires milongas, check the blog of Deby Novitz, who lives in Buenos
Aires:

http://tangospam.typepad.com/

I can't account for nuevo practicas like Practica X. There are
different rules there. Different dance, different rules.

Ron