[Tango-L] Way too much kicking

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 19:28:37 EDT 2009

Thanks, Brian, for pointing out that milongas have a flow and are not static things.

--- On Wed, 3/25/09, Huck Kennedy <tempehuck at gmail.com> wrote:

>      The man shouldn't lead anything allowing her to do
> that?  The leader in the video is doing nothing more than leading
> simple tango. How is that "allowing" the kicks?  What is the
> leader supposed to do, put chains and shackles on her legs to prevent such kicking?  What can he do, other than dump her right there on the floor and run away for dear life, hoping not too many people noticed him dancing with her?

Someone always used to complain about this woman who would always do an unled front boleo after a back boleo.  My answer was simple:  quit leading back boleos, duh!  If a man realizes that everytime he leads a turn, the woman will turn into an high-kicking ninja, then he shouldn't be leading turns if he wants a tanguera and not a ninja.  A leader is expected to tone down his dance for a beginner.  Same thing here.  And if he doesn't want to alter his dance as such, then he shouldn't be dancing with her.

> > Don't be so quick to negatively judge a
> woman's ornaments when you have no idea the work a woman
> has to do in order to execute an ornament well.
>
>      Say what?!?

Nice-looking ornaments don't just happen by accident.  It's not easy embellishing gracefully almost instantly on someone else's improvised choreography. And to do it musically so that it makes sense.  And make it look organic and flowing.  And within the timing so that it doesn't interfere with the man's idea.  And with awareness of the dance floor.  There's a lot of embellishment exercises in addition to the host of exercises for balance, axis, grounding, walking, pivoting, turning, etc.  And guess what?  Working on the embellishment exercises is going to help with the basics!

Women, just like men, will see things and try to imitate them.  I'd rather that they get instruction in a class setting where a teacher can give them pointers on how to do it right.  Much better than some guy telling her on the dance floor that she can kick this way or that way or tell the woman that she can rub her leg against him.  Yes, that happens.

Trini de Pittsburgh