[Tango-L] Let's save the social dance!

roger roger at websa.com.au
Sat Jun 13 19:59:05 EDT 2009

I almost agree with you Jack, however it depends on the space available.

I was at La Marshall in Buenos Aries, when a couple of their better dancer
got on the floor ahead of everyone else and gave a rather dramatic
performance. However as the floor became more crowed they toned down their
dancing. Thus respecting the other dancers.

I have a weakness for dramatic endings, but will tone these down if the
floor is crowed.

So I am saying that, yes, you can do a performance type of dance, but only
if the space allows. A crowed floor does not permit dramatic gestures, here
we agree. Respect the other dancers. Bumping into someone, somehow, shows
your lack of dancing ability.

Roger Spence

We can't and why should we? Social dancing is for sharing the dance floor
with many other couples and improvising figures to suit the space available.

Show Tango is for dancing a performance in front of an audience with,
usually, no other couples on the dance floor.

Social and Show tango, by definition, are not to be danced at the same time.

Show dancers should respect the social dance floor and leave their show
dance routines for the right time and place.

Jack