[Tango-L] Ball or heel

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 4 20:51:46 EDT 2009

I tend to walk toe first, although I do use the heel on occasion when I dance. I have found then
walking on a single track, forward, that the toe first is easier for me (I learned it that way).
However, I never land toe first. I land with a "broken" foot, i.e.,  that is, the outside edge of
my foot hits the ground (no pressure on it). As I move off the back foot, I "roll" onto the metatarsal
and I am prepared for the next step. Breaking the foot creates and action in the opposite hip,
which remains slightly back with respect to the moving body and acts as a counter weight. This
movement can be executed very slowly. It is very hard (for me) to walk with a heel lead in slow
motion. Of course, this does not work when walking on two tracks. I used the technique for
small steps as well, but the "edge of the foot" effect is reduced accordingly, but is always there.
This technique is responsible for greatly increasing velocity control and smoothness (if that
is desired). You can see this technique used in Gavito's dancing.

   Gordon