[Tango-L] Ball or Heel?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 03:01:54 EDT 2009

It could also be how you're presenting your leg.  I do both heel-first and toe-first depending on what I need to do.  Going heel first is the most natural and least stressful way of walking.  However, if you want to continue doing toe-first, there's a way of doing it with less stress on the calf.  When I do toe-first, I still keep my lower leg relaxed and don't point the toe.  The knee lifts but the toe hangs so that it can land first.  If you're actively pointing the toe, that could place more stress on your calf.

When walking heel-first, think of rolling onto the metatarsal using your standing leg after you've made contact with your heel.  The weight transfer onto the leading foot should feel like a "C".  You might also have a tendency to pronate or supinate, which could cause the wobble.  With practice, you'll be able to walk more steadily.  If the problem persists, you might want to see an Alexander Technique professional who can teach you how to walk without stressing the muscles.  Sometimes you can get insurance to cover their fee.

Hope this helps.

Trini de Pittsburgh