[Tango-L] What do you think?

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 08:12:38 EDT 2009

> From: Noughts damian.thompson at gmail.com

>  Curious, where did you see rumba here?  Timing?  Again
> different to Rumba, they did no 'figures', none.... if you can show or
> enlighten us, then that would be great.

I'm surprised that you ask but, since you did, let's start with 'underarm turns'
that are common in all latin dances as well as Swing / Rock'n'Roll. But, unlike
tango, these are mostly danced with the couple separated. Wasn't aware that
they were a staple of tango but but this couple do EIGHT including 3 together
at 4.11. Then there's the separation to one-hand hold at 3.30 and taking the lady
off her feet at 4.20. At 5.05, after an u/a turn he ends up backing lady. He does
the same thing at 6.05 and remains backing lady for about 5 seconds. Common
in Rumba but how is tango? At 6.57, after another u/a turn, there's a ladies head-duck.
Salsa dancers will be familiar with this and is now very common in Show-Rumba. The
figure that starts at 6.57 continues until a separation at 7.12 and is very Rumba-like.

Now you could say that 'anything goes' as long as they're dancing to tango music
and, if that's your opinion, fine. But when does it stop being tango and become
something else - modern dance?

Btw, all latin dances have a lot in common and I chose Rumba because it's the
only slow latin dance and is therefore closest in tempo to the dance in the video.
But, I agree that the timing is very different - just talking about the figures.

Jack