[Tango-L] What do you think?

Noughts damian.thompson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 12:52:48 EDT 2009

As an ex professional ballroomer... I personally don't see the Rumba
in any of their dancing... maybe because most smooth dancing has
similar elements....  the music is often the differential.  Walz had
many of the same steps as Foxtrot, take away the music and show the
sames steps, then you tell me which dance they are doing.... Even the
most seasoned professional would have trouble with that.

Rumba done professionally, even an amateur will immediately learn to
lead their footwork with a toe... use of hips, flowing arms....
shorter steps very dissimilar to tango... None of this was in that
dance... Curious, where did you see rumba here?  Timing?  Again
different to Rumba, they did no 'figures', none.... if you can show or
enlighten us, then that would be great.

As for the best in the world.. fake ballroom dancers, even the best
don't touch this couple or even the worst couple around in tango for
connection... timing, yes.  Presentation, yes.  Preparation, yes...
but are they better... who cares?  They are ballroom......

Damian