[Tango-L] What do you think?

Noughts damian.thompson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 11:54:31 EDT 2009

Trini, Jack...........

It was an incredibly difficult piece to dance to to begin...  99% of
dancers should really sit for the subtleties that are in this music
are very difficult to dance to, let alone do it exceptionally well.

Remember, you don't have to like their style, or their interpretation
to appreciate that what they did do, was both very graceful and
incredibly skillful.

According to Jack, this was not inspiring, but Jack, do you move as
smoothly as they do?  Are you able to execute some of the most
incredibly complex movements smoothly and without fault?  Not that
it's about you, but I also feel that to critique others, one should be
at a certain level.. Are you at their level?  Probably not - I don't
know you, but considering every teacher in BA except for a few attend
the classes of SA and MM, then they obviously have something that we
all want.  If any of us wanted to watch ballroom, then I don't think
that we would be watching this.

Clumsy?  How?  How exactly was it clumsy?  How did they not move
gracefully?  How did they do it with a lack of skill?  Any of it?
That to me is just a blind stupid statement.  Yes - I say it as I see
it.  I am not 'flaming' here.  But if you are going to make an
incredibly bold and IMHO unjust statement, then back it up.

I urge any of you to try successfully and gracefully the gancho lift
pianazzo at 4.20 without feeling stressed, off balance or
uncomfortable....Let alone the frozen boleo leading to other 'nuevo'
moves at 5.00.  The control and skill for that... well, try it and
then comment.  I do do the above moves and very comfortably with my
partner and other skilled dancers.  Like the ocho cortado, they take
practice and repitition to do and to do well.

With reference to the tango growing - it has grown since it began and
will continue to.

Bertil....

I agree with you - although I'm a Chicho fan when it comes to
musicality, it is incredibly hard to fault (if at all) this couple.
To date, the most successful tango couple in the world.  More so than
any other, as you say, they dance all styles and blend them better
than anyone.

No overhead lifts even visible and I do do those when I do stage
tango.  It's a part of that genre, even Arce/Montes did in other
performances when dancing stage - their versatility is beyond
question.. IMO.

Damian