[Tango-L] Gripe-A or Swine Flu in Buenos Aires

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sat Jul 4 15:14:54 EDT 2009

As many of you may know I live in Buenos Aires.  The media is making the
Gripe A panic situation.  I had Gripe B which is the plain old flu.  I
got it on Monday night. Guys, this is winter, this is flu season. People
get the flu during flu season. They say that

 The doctors really don't know the difference other than if your fever
stays high then you have Gripe A.  Duh.  I was at my HMO today Swiss
Medical and it was empty.  There was no one there...as in millions of
patients trying to get help.  Friends told me the same was true at
Hospital Aleman earlier in the week.  I can tell you that the streets
are emptier than normal, even more emptier than in January.  That is
because the government has scared the hell out of people.  You can't
turn on the TV without some special news program blaring out on Gripe A.

The schools have closed earlier, in some cities, they have closed the
nightclubs and restaurant-bars.  Pretty much here in Capítal Federal
everything is still open except the schools.  I didn't dance last week
because I was sick, but my friends told me that the milongas were light
of people.  They have been light of people for the last couple months
more because of our economic situation not because of the flu.  For us
going to milongas every night is expensive.

Do not expect prices to go down here.  We still are suffering from
continuing inflation and prices continue to go up.  Prices cannot drop
because our expenses keep doubling.  You are seeing some sales on
clothes earlier this year, but that is about it.  The good news for you
all is that the peso is 3.80 to the USD.  It is still less expensive
here for you.  You should still come.  Buenos Aires is always a great
place to visit no matter what time of year.