[Tango-L] How wide is the base of "The Lead Pyramid"?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 06:45:02 EST 2009

"Reining a wild horse" is what Daniel Trenner describes when he talks about leading and following.  The woman goes and the man stops her.  She dances.  He puts himself in her dance.  Hence, the use of hands to stop.

There's value to this way of thinking.  I don't know how many times, I've wished my partners (when I lead) would just friggin' go and not hesitate as if they're afraid of making a mistake.  If I'm lead by a good dancer, I can feel him capture my energy for a dead stop when he wants it.  To me his hands feel like nothing, but he has to be using them when I'm going with a lot of energy to move.  I don't consider it following a stop.  My intention is go go go.  But then suddenly, he stops me.  And I'm wondering at times, how the heck did he do that?  Where did all that energy go?  I can tell when it goes into the floor.  I don't feel stressed.  Where did the energy go?  He had to have absorbed it through his hands.

Trini de Pittsburgh